Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever tutored before?

4 posters

Go down

Have you ever tutored before? Empty Have you ever tutored before?

Post by Tricky Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:54 am

A couple of people have told me I'm pretty good at helping em in math, and someone suggested that I tutor for money. I'm currently in AP Calc. Just wondering if any of you have tutored someone before and your experiences with that.

Coupla questions:
-What age group should I am at tutoring for?
-How much should I charge?
-How often/long should each session be?
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Have you ever tutored before? Empty Re: Have you ever tutored before?

Post by Unify Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:16 am

Depends. Do you mean an actual tutor? Well i mean. I helped someone before through teamvews i dunno if that counts. I've never actually tought someone for money.
Unify
Unify
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:17 am

Unify wrote:Depends. Do you mean an actual tutor? Well i mean. I helped someone before through teamvews i dunno if that counts. I've never actually tought someone for money.

Just like sitting down with someone and teaching em how to do something. xD
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by Crow Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 am

I have a math tutor actually. I'm home studied so my teacher comes to my home, and just gives me homework. I'm not to good at math though, so i ordered a math tutor. It's pretty cool, she has answer books so she really doesn't have to do much. I usually just try to distract here and have a convo with her so we don't do math.

lol!
Crow
Crow
Admin
Admin

https://aqua-road.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:28 am

Crow wrote:I have a math tutor actually. I'm home studied so my teacher comes to my home, and just gives me homework. I'm not to good at math though, so i ordered a math tutor. It's pretty cool, she has answer books so she really doesn't have to do much. I usually just try to distract here and have a convo with her so we don't do math.

lol!

Easy job? xP
How much does she charge Question
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:29 am

If you're in AP calc, then you should have no trouble tutoring anybody below your level- no matter the age. In fact, if you're good at Calc, you can even tutor other calc students.

Tutors usually make a good $30 an hour, but if you're under 18, then $20 seems like a fair amount.

There's this useful website called Wyzant that is REALLY awesome for finding people to tutor. It's made me hella buck. (:
Mikey
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 am

Mikey wrote:If you're in AP calc, then you should have no trouble tutoring anybody below your level- no matter the age. In fact, if you're good at Calc, you can even tutor other calc students.

Tutors usually make a good $30 an hour, but if you're under 18, then $20 seems like a fair amount.

There's this useful website called Wyzant that is REALLY awesome for finding people to tutor. It's made me hella buck. (:

I just did a quick google search and it suggested "Wyzant tutoring scam" O_O

I checked it out and it seems like half the people are really pissed off about em, and the other half absolutely love them, lmao.
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:38 am

Tricky wrote:

I just did a quick google search and it suggested "Wyzant tutoring scam" O_O

I checked it out and it seems like half the people are really pissed off about em, and the other half absolutely love them, lmao.

A lot of people who use Wyzant scam (Like me!). Let me show you how it works:
The website makes money because tutors have to pay a % to the website, since the website is acting as a middle man. Well, after your first tutoring session, you get paid $30. The one getting tutored (or their parents) have to pay the money to the SITE, which then gives you a PART of the money (middle-man tolls). So you don't get your full $30 (or even close).

After your first meeting, however, just exchange a phone number or E-mail and forget about the website. Pocket all $30, don't worry about taxes or middle-man fees.

Hope that helped? (:

Mikey
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tricky Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 am

Mikey wrote:

A lot of people who use Wyzant scam (Like me!). Let me show you how it works:
The website makes money because tutors have to pay a % to the website, since the website is acting as a middle man. Well, after your first tutoring session, you get paid $30. The one getting tutored (or their parents) have to pay the money to the SITE, which then gives you a PART of the money (middle-man tolls). So you don't get your full $30 (or even close).

After your first meeting, however, just exchange a phone number or E-mail and forget about the website. Pocket all $30, don't worry about taxes or middle-man fees.

Hope that helped? (:

Hm, thanks. I'll try it out if I can't just get someone local to tutor, a problem would be the fact that I'm still 3-4 months away from my license. Crying or Very sad
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum